“We need people who think with the creative side of their brains—people who have played in a band, who have painted…it enhances symbiotic thinking capabilities, not always thinking in the same paradigm, learning how to kick-start a new idea, or how to get a job done better, less expensively.” Annette Byrd of GlaxoSmithKline
Creativity. Learn to think outside of the box.
5 steps to take to enhance creativity:
- Try something new. Set your music to a new station and spend the day exploring new and old tunes. Try a new recipe, seek out a new restaurant, get artsy and MAKE something.
- Meditate. Yes, daily meditation has amazing benefits. But it might be difficult to jump right into. For now, just TRY out the idea. Spend 10min on a walk without music or your phone to distract you. Simply observe the world around you.
- Say "YES...and." Become an open-minded Improv actor by using the technique of “YES, and.” This simple tactic will do wonders toward having novel thoughts and ideas. Make it a game! Try saying yes for a full day and see how the world unfolds for you.
- Move! Get out and move your body. It doesn’t have to be aggressive, sweaty, or difficult. Find a way, ANY way, to move your body for 30min. Your creative brain will thank you.
- Soak up inspiration from others. Read a great article, find a new book, explore podcasts (there are so many amazing ones!)…listen to a Ted talk.